The true cost of a work related accident is not always readily visible but would include inflated insurance premiums, excess payments, replacement vehicle costs, including temporary hire of vehicles, and sick pay to staff.
A properly designed driver training programme can save the company money in the following areas:-
- A reduction in insurance premiums and excess payments, depending on previous claims record, fleet size and composition.
- Fuel consumption improvements. 10% saving is not unreasonable.
- Reductions of at least 5% in wear and tear on tyres, brakes and clutches etc.
- Improved vehicle value of a minimum of 4% if a trained driver drives the car.
- Fewer accidents
- Less need for investigation
- Less administration
- Less lost time
- Less sick pay
- Less requirement for work rescheduling
- Lower training costs
- Fewer missed orders/sales opportunities
- Improved staff morale
- Improved public image
- Protection from prosecution